During a massive wildfire like the ones California is experiencing many questions arise.
Employee safety is always a primary concern and the amount of smoke can make that difficult.
Scott Pitman with InterWest Insurance Services shared the following notes regarding masks when the employer did not create the hazard.
- Make sure you let your employees know the N95 masks are distributed only a voluntary basis only. You are not requiring any employee to wear them.
- Wildfire smoke is considered a “respiratory irritant” – it effect each of us differently
- Make sure the A/C is on at all times
- Ensure HVAC system as clean filters – check with HVAC vendor to see if filters can be added or enhanced
- Control source of contaminants (place fans at front door which would prevent particulate matter from entering the structure)
For more information go to: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/wildfire/worker-protection-from-wildfire-smoke.html